All images and contents of this blog © Ginny Baker. Please don't use without permission.

Monday, January 05, 2009

MOTIVATIONAL MONDAY



Today's Quote:

"All of us can take steps - no matter how small and insignificant at the start -
in the direction we want to go."
~ Marsha Sinetar

Still taking steps myself - to finish the Yorkie tutorial, which is almost done, and to work on the website. I also have some jewelry ideas I'm anxious to get to, once I get a couple more orders finished. There's never a drought of ideas and projects keeping me busy!

One thing that may slow me down a bit on the things I want to do is that it looks like I will be moving in 2-3 months. I am very ready to leave Las Vegas. Seventeen and a half years here is more than enough! I've had lots of fun living here, and gotten to meet some wonderful people. Sooner or later everybody seems to end up coming here to visit, so that's given me an opportunity to meet people in person that I never would have met otherwise. But I am very ready for a change. What I'm not so ready to do is pack! Fortunately, we left a lot of things in boxes in the garage when we moved in. So it definitely won't be as daunting as the last move was, after being in our house for 16 years!

About a year and a half ago, we sold our home. We were lucky to have quite a bit of equity in it, so we walked away with a very nice chunk of money. We fared much better than a lot of people have in Vegas' awful housing market. We chose to rent this house rather than purchase another one. We knew we didn't want to stay here much longer, and also knew we did not want to be buying another house here as bad as the housing market currently is. So we moved into this house brand new. We're the only ones who have ever lived in it, and it's a really lovely house. Unfortunately, the owner has been badly affected by the downturn in the housing market and the house looks like it's probably going to be foreclosed on. It's a case of a young man trying to expand his investments to fast too soon, and buying a house in the wrong city. For a long time, the market was hot here. Not anymore. Everywhere we look there are brand new homes sitting empty. The only good thing is that after our initial lease, we chose to rent month to month. So we can give 30 days notice and leave when we like.

So things will be a bit up in the air for me again for a while. I'm ready for the change though! :o)

2 comments:

roz said...

Happy New Year, Ginny. Wow, you're moving!
We kept fretting that the same thing might happen to us with the rental we had but we made it through until we were reassigned as you know.
Where are you relocating?

Ginny Baker said...

Happy New Year to you too Roz! I'm sorry that it took me so long to respond to your comment. Shows how I've been neglecting my blog lately! I hope you had a lovely holiday season and are settled in your new home.

Yes, anyone who is renting a house in Las Vegas right now runs the risk of losing the house they're renting due to foreclosure. It's awful.

I'm not sure at this point where we might be headed. My husband worked for Nevada Power for 14 years and then left to take a more lucrative job in Florida when all those hurricanes hit. He's reapplied to Nevada Power now, but also is pursuing jobs in other states, so things are very up in the air, sigh.

I hope all is well with you and your family.