All images and contents of this blog © Ginny Baker. Please don't use without permission.

Monday, September 01, 2008

MOTIVATIONAL MONDAY



Today's quote:

"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.”
-----Langston Hughes

Sometimes it's really hard to hold onto our dreams. Particularly those that seem the most impossible to achieve, or when we have no idea what steps to take to even begin to achieve them.

Were you one of those kids who was reprimanded for being a "dreamer" or told to "get your head out of the clouds and come back to earth"? I was. Obviously, I didn't listen! I can't imagine life without having dreams and goals and yet, there are times I find it very difficult to hold onto them. There are so many things that seem determined to rip them from our hands. The mundane everyday chores that have to be done, the bills that have to be paid, the family's needs that must be met. It is so easy to get so bogged down in "what is" that we lose sight of our dreams. Sometimes they seem so very out of reach.

But life is empty without them. I know people who are content to just go through life with their only focus on getting through the work week and getting that paycheck, whose only goals in life seem to be in buying the latest toys and keeping up with the Joneses, or sitting in the lazy boy in front of the TV once the work week is through. They have no ambition beyond that. Maybe they're happy that way, and that's enough for them. But I'm glad I'm not, no matter how frustrating holding on to my dreams sometimes is.

3 comments:

Amber D. Mcnabb said...

oh my goodness I was EXACTLY that child. This is such a wonderful and inspirational blog THANK YOU!
Amber

cathy said...

I have been thinking about this alot latley Ginny. My family calls me a dreamer but I think it's so sad that they have no dreams.

The Bible says something like "without a vision, the people parrish". Even in Biblical times, they knew how important it was to hold on to a dream.

roz said...

I can relate to this.
Great post, thanks!