All images and contents of this blog © Ginny Baker. Please don't use without permission.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

WORKTABLE WEDNESDAY



On my worktable today are more miniature dog sculptures in little Halloween scenes. I am having a lot of fun with these. They are only 2" tall and about 3" in length. I just love tiny things and I see a lot of people share that feeling.

I'm still debating on the tutorial I had been working on. I don't really care for the pdf format. Would much rather do a video tutorial but not sure how to go about it just yet, so that project has been on the back burner lately.

In sculpting though it's really just a matter of forming basic shapes and then blending them together. It's the refining, and the details added that make the difference in taking those basic shapes and transforming them into something special. It's adding clay to a piece or taking it away, and refining it til it looks the way you want it to. At least that's what works for me. I have seen in a book where someone tried to say they developed this method of sculpting with clay, to the great amusement of myself and many other clay artists, because it's the method we've all been using since we began sculpting with clay! The refining and the details just become better with experience.

So what begins as a little lump of clay has other bits of molded clay added to it, and those pieces are blended together, and the whole piece is refined and detail is added until we have the finished piece.

Starts out pretty rough, doesn't it? Hard to believe that blob is going to turn into anything recognizable, but it will. :o)






Still a bit more refining and detail needed, and a tail as well, but the little Bichon Frise has come a long way from its humble beginnings no?

2 comments:

Peter Holland said...

Lovely little dog!

You say "taking those basic shapes and transforming them into something special. It's adding clay to a piece or taking it away, and refining it til it looks the way you want it to"

I couldn't agree more. That's the heart and soul of it. People try to read so much more. It is hard work, agreed, but deeply satisfying.

Nice blog.

All the best

Peter

Glitterd1 said...

I love picture #5. Before you refine the hair on the top of his head, he looks SHOCKED! Like he's seen a ghost...or won a million chew toys...or been pinched in the butt. LOL!