All images and contents of this blog © Ginny Baker. Please don't use without permission.

Thursday, February 04, 2010

CLAY ILLUSTRATION



One of the areas I love to explore when it comes to polymer clay is clay illustration. My favorite illustrator of books for children is Barbara Reid. Barbara doesn't actually work with polymer clay. She uses plasticene. But the effect is the same - stunning three dimensional illustrations.

I've been a fan of Barbara's for years and own every book she's ever produced. It's just so much fun to see clay "come to life" in this way. Her illustrations bring such character and personality to the words in the books she illustrates.

Her latest, Perfect Snow, has just such amazing illustrations. You can almost feel the cool, crisp air, and hear the snow crunching beneath your boots when you look at the pictures. It's a really cute, fun book!


(click to enlarge)

Barbara also has a YouTube channel with videos showing how she creates her phenomenal clay illustrations.

She's just a very gracious, very talented lady. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven when she so kindly told me my own clay illustrations were "Very beautiful"!!! There are few bigger thrills then receiving praise from someone you so greatly admire. :o) I hope you'll check out Barbara's fabulous work. I know you'll enjoy it.

2 comments:

Lori Allberry said...

Hi Ginny!

I can't wait to check out Barbara on YouTube - I'm so excited! Thank You for sharing this with us!

I've given you a Sunshine Award!! Knowing you and reading your blog, seeing your incredible work, brings Sunshine to me! Please check out my blog to read about it! =)

http://sugarberrysensations.blogspot.com/2010/02/blogger-sunshine-award-woop-woop.html

♥Lori

Ginny Baker said...

Awww you're such a sweetie Lori! Thanks so much for the award. I'm going to blog about it today. :o)